Saturday, October 17, 2009

More American logic

So over the past few days all these signs have popped up in pharmacy windows, saying "get your flu shot here!" There's a heavy ad campaign promoting the flu shot too, and it's really cheap, only 6 euros 25 cents.

I had a few minutes yesterday afternoon, so I thought, ok, perfect timing, I'll swing past the pharmacy down the street and get my shot. What I didn't realize until I got there, though, was that by saying "get" your flu shot here, they mean quite literally that you can buy the needle and syringe. They don't actually ADMINISTER the shot, they just GIVE the materials to you! So I was like, "uhhh, what do I do now?" And they were like, "oh, you have to find a doctor or nurse to give it to you, unless you know how to do it yourself."

Now, I'd assume I could just give myself the damn shot, if it's just sticking it in your arm. But is there an art form to it? Is there something I should be looking for? And how do I dispose of the materials afterwards? Not that I have any concern about AIDS or anything, but still, it doesn't seem appropriate to just toss it in the trash can! I thought about googling it and figuring it out, but I decided to just make an appointment at the school's health center and be done with it so that I don't screw it up. So that's all set up with no trouble, I'll be "getting" my flu shot next week.

But can you imagine in the US, just randomly passing out needles and syringes in pharmacies so that people can do their own vaccinations? And then just allowing them to toss the used materials in the trash???

3 comments:

  1. Your kingdom for a sharps container?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is awesome... I'd just pass out while giving myself the shot. I wouldn't be able to give it to myself on the spot the nurse used, I think.
    You're supposed to put it into the muscle (that's why your arm gets sore), so I wouldn't mess around with it unless you're fine with having terrible muscle pain...

    ~W

    ReplyDelete
  3. So was it a flu shot for seasonal flu or H1N1? I can't believe they hand the stuff out like that--giving yourself a shot isn't for the beginner. Does it have to be refrigerated or otherwise taken care of while you have it?

    ReplyDelete