Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Why not to wear a miniskirt to class

So I never wear a miniskirt to class, for obvious reasons.

Except today, for whatever reason that remains unknown to me, I randomly decided to wear a short denim skirt to class. Not terribly short, but short enough. When I got to the library (where I teach), I discovered that it was closed for some water issue, in that it had none. So we dutifully trooped over to the Institute of French Studies and got going there. I was rather smug that we had managed to deal with the problem, get all the students in one place, and get started, all while only losing about 5 minutes of class time total.

Then, about 45 minutes later, someone came down to say that they were doing a fire drill in the Institute and that we'd have to clear out for a few minutes. So we headed outside to the Mews (the Institute is on this really chic block that is cobblestone and closed to cars) and hung out for a few minutes. This is when I learned about that Robert Pattison movie that is still wreaking havoc on the neighborhood. It's apparently a "romantic thriller" in which he and some girl from Lost get together and then their family members start dying. Unclear. But it's still a zoo around here.

Anyway, the 5 minutes turns into like 20, and then the maintenance team comes out and says that it'll "only" be another 15-20 minutes. Right. So we go back down and grab our books to do class on the Mews. The students are thrilled, since students always love doing class outside. Particularly on beautiful days like today (low 80s, low humidity, gorgeous sun).

I, however, am faced with two problems:
1) With the miniskirt, I can't cross my legs or sit in much of any comfortable position.
2) With my knee, I can only tolerate sitting on the curb with my legs bent sideways for a few minutes.

So in the end, I am sitting with my legs out in front of me, ON THE COBBLESTONES because my students are all on the sidewalk and I need to be able to see them.

Add to that the fact that last night I went to the second installment of Les Éphémères, which has pew-like seating. Natalia and I weren't sure if that was to heighten the experience of being in a theater (à la Brecht...there were a few other more overtly Brechtian moments, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. In either case, I question the logic of making the audience physically suffer when you're already putting them through a 7-hour show...) or whether it's just what they ended up with, but damn the seating was debilitatingly painful. My back is still a mess, and it sure isn't much better after spending so much time on the cobblestones, haha.

Needless to say, I'm never wearing a miniskirt to class again.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't worn a miniskirt to class since 1975. Just sayin...

    ReplyDelete