Thursday, July 16, 2009

The craziness continues!

So much for being good about regular updating. It seems as though the summer has slipped through my fingers yet again. This past weekend Anne and Claire and my mother were all in town, and we had a glorious weekend of sight-seeing, Broadway show attending (I got singled out of the audience THREE times at Hair, HAHAHA), and ethnic food eating (yes!). Seriously, we had some ridiculously good dining experiences. And we also hit up Fuerza Bruta, a show about which I have already tried to blog and failed miserably since it's damn near impossible to put into words just what it is. It's also tricky to get good pics of the show, as you can see that the lighting is rather funky. Here I am with Claire:


The show appears to be some sort of meditation on life and the rat race, etc, and it is puntuated with these amazingly acrobatic and lyrical moments, such as this one:


The woman was in the plastic basket (above our heads) spinning one way while the guy was attached underneath the basket, spinning the other way. Very cool effect.

Then this one had a foil curtain around the audience and these acrobats chased each other around the circle:


The finale is the best, when a giant plastic sheet comes down over our heads:

And then people jump on it from above with all sorts of water flowing around, kind of like a massive slip and slide. Again, hard to explain but very cool!!!

Afterwards I took the group to a gay showtunes bar, where we drank and sang showtunes I don't know, haha. But Marie's Crisis is a West Village institution, definitely worth seeing.

Once everyone left on Monday morning I had to throw myself back into reality and start teaching, but now that's done for the week. I had a Bastille Day part-ay for my students chez Judy on Tuesday, which made for a crazy Monday night of cooking (involving making cupcake batter in the bowl of her salad spinner because she doesn't have mixing bowls, hahaha).

Next up: I've been invited to the cast party for that 7-hour French show, which is tonight and starts at 11:30. Should be an Experience with a capital E, to say the least. woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment